- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Continuing Education
- Health Network
- Professional Home in Migrant Health
- Program Initiatives
- Technical Assistance
- Issues We Face
- Migrant Info
- Behavioral Health
- Children's Health
- Emergency Preparedness
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Eye Care
- Family Violence
- H1N1 Flu
- Oral Health
- Recruitment and Retention
- Women's Health
- Tools / Resources
MCN Makes a Difference in 2013
Take a look at the highlights of MCN's services and programs in action during 2013!
Employment in Migrant Health
Are you interested in working in migrant health?
We frequently hear from clinicians who are interested in working with migrant or immigrant populations. They can be motivated by a past experience in migrant health, a background in public health or international work, a desire to do work that they consider meaningful, or simply a need to make a change in their own lives.
We have compiled here our suggestions for how to pursue employment in this field:
- There is a national network of federally-funded migrant health centers (MHCs) that serve to provide health care services specifically to migrant farmworkers. Check here for a directory of MHCs. If you have a particular geographic location in mind, contact health centers in the area directly and try to talk with the Human Resources Director or Medical Director.
- Many MHCs are also Community Health Centers (CHCs). There are also many CHCs that serve large numbers of migrant patients but are not designated MHCs. By including CHCs in your search, you will increase your options significantly. Check here for a directory of all Bureau of Primary Health Care sites.
- Are you a National Health Service Corps scholar or loan repayer? This is a great way to do the kind of work you want to do while getting your student loans paid off.
- There are a number of online job banks that might be useful.
- Primary Care Associations (which are regional- or state-based) are also a good source of information about job opportunities for clinicians in MHCs. Check here for a PCA Directory.
- MCN lists any job or internship opening that we hear of here.