- Who We Are
- Professional Home in Migrant Health
Current IRB Members
- James O'Barr, MSW
- Evelyn Clingerman, EC, PhD, RN, CNE, FNAP
- Ruben Martinez, PhD
- Sara Quandt, PhD
- Maria de Jesus Diaz-Perez, PhD
Instructions to submit a protocol to the MCN Institutional Review Board
Please review the All applications must be received by the IRB at least 2 months before the initiation of project or research activities. Once the application is submitted, the request will receive a rapid review by a member of the IRB for completeness. If judged to meet the technical requirements, the application will be forwarded to the IRB members. The IRB meets monthly and a response to the applicant is available within 45 days of acceptance of the application for review.
Prior to submitting a completed application, researchers are encouraged to contact the IRB Chair or support staff with any questions concerning the application process.
- Deliana Garcia, MCN's Director, International, Research, and Development: (e) email@example.com
If there are no additional requirements to be met by the applicant, a letter of response signed by the Chair of the IRB will be sent to the applicant for use in whatever capacity required. Should the IRB find the application incomplete, a temporary approval will be granted to the applicant with instructions for correcting the application and the deadline for receiving the additional materials or additional information.
In the event that the application is denied, the applicant will receive a complete explanation of the reasons for rejection. The IRB response will also include instructions for resubmitting the request if the IRB deems that a resubmitted request will be reviewed.
All projects submitted to the IRB will receive a set of recommendations that provide important advice and counsel on the protection of human subjects and the research design. We encourage all researchers to use this feature of the IRB to help ensure quality projects.
As a part of the IRB Protocol Review, the applicant must attest to having read the summary of The Belmont Report, which clarifies ethical issues on human subject research.
Instructions with further detail regarding the application process can be found here: [MS Word]
A complete application contains the following:
- IRB Protocol Review Form [MS Word] [PDF]
- Every applicant must submit a copy of the consent form for the project in the subjects' primary language. If you need assistance in developing a consent form, please download a free copy of Guidelines for Informed Consent Form [MS Word] [PDF], a tool developed by MCN’s IRB.
- Materials, data collection instruments, and forms for use in the project.
- HIPAA Compliance Form [MS Word] [PDF]
- If the research involves drugs, devices or other active agents then the applicant must complete the Drugs, Devices and Other Active Agents Form [MS Word] [PDF]
- If the research involves children under 18 years of age, then the applicant must complete the Protocols with Minors as Participants [MS Word] [PDF]