Skip to main content
x

Clinical Guidance for Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning After a Disaster

Rating

A resource by the CDC highlighting the symptoms and signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is often a cause of illness and death after a natural disaster.

"Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness and death if present in sufficient concentration in the ambient air. When power outages occur during emergencies such as hurricanes or winter storms, the use of alternative sources of fuel or electricity for heating, cooling, or cooking can cause CO to build up in a home, garage, or camper and poison the people and animals inside." - CDC