Five on Friday | July 1, 2016
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” Here, here! Exactly 240 years later, we still value these same rights. We are working hard in migrant health to enable all people in this country to pursue and achieve a happy, healthy, and free life. Here’s to the visionaries who founded this country on principles that we still hold so close to our hearts. Happy Fourth of July Weekend! Here are our recommended reads from MCN staff this week:
- Candace, Specialist in Clinical Systems and Women’s Health, shared this interesting perspective on Zika virus transmission cycles.
- Ricardo, Health Network Manager, forwarded Pew Global’s statistics on world migrants, updated with 2015 numbers.
- Del, Director of International Projects, Research, and Development, shared CMS’s proposed rule on infection control and inappropriate antibiotic use, which is open for public comment until August 15th.
- Claire, Writer and Editor, recommended Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent on a recent case involving evidence seized during an illegal stop: "By legitimizing the conduct that produces this double consciousness, this case tells everyone, white and black, guilty and innocent, that an officer can verify your legal status at any time. It says that your body is subject to invasion while courts excuse the violation of your rights. It implies that you are not a citizen of a democracy but the subject of a carceral state, just waiting to be cataloged.”
- In light of the SCOTUS decision on DACA/DAPA, Juliana, Environmental and Occupational Health Manager, recommends this Fusion video connecting immigration reform and health and health care access.
Have a healthy and safe Fourth of July weekend!