Substance Use Warmline
Peer-to-Peer Consultation and Decision Support
10 am – 6 pm EST Monday - Friday
Free and confidential consultation for clinicians from the Clinician Consultation Center at San Francisco General Hospital focusing on substance use in primary care
Objectives of the Substance Use Warmline:
- Support primary care providers in managing complex patients with addiction, chronic pain, and behavioral health issues
- Improve the safety of medication regimens to decrease the risk of overdose
- Enhance the treatment, care and support for people living with or at risk for HIV
- Discuss useful strategies for clinicians in managing their patients living with substance use, addiction and chronic pain.
Consultation topics include:
- Assessment and treatment of opioid, alcohol, and other substance use disorders
- Approaches to suspected misuse, abuse, or diversion of prescribed opioids
- Methods to simplify opioid-based pain regimens to reduce risk of misuse and toxicity
- Urine toxicology testing- when to use it and what it means
- Use of buprenorphine and the role of methadone maintenance
- Withdrawal management for opioids, alcohol, and other CNS depressants
- Harm reduction strategies and overdose prevention
- Managing substance use in special populations (pregnancy, HIV, hepatitis)
- Productive ways of discussing (known or suspected) addiction with patients.
The CCC’s multi-disciplinary team of expert physicians, clinical pharmacists and nurses provides consultation to help clinicians manage complex patient needs, medication safety, and a rapidly evolving regulatory environment.